Well, OK, not Oprah the celebrity — although that would be lovely — but a subscription to Oprah’s O Magazine. Why am I doing this? Because I’m SO excited to be among those who were asked to give advice for the Cover Story in the October 2012 issue of O Magazine – “101 Best Pieces of Advice – Ever!”
You’ll find my piece of advice below, “The One Thing to Do If You’re Contemplating Divorce,“ and on page 157.
“Meet with a certified divorce financial analyst. She can tell you which documents you’ll need to have, the attorney or mediator best suited to your situation, and the tax and lending traps to avoid. A single consultation early on can help you avoid lots of costly mistakes.”
– Lisa C. Decker, founder of Divorce Money Matters
So are you wondering how you can win a subscription to O Magazine? Pin your favorite blog post from our site on Pinterest, add the hashtag #dmm, and you could win a subscription to O Magazine! You’ll have to provide the 30 minutes of peace and quiet, but I’m sure you can manage that!
So many folks reached out to say they loved the last 10 tips I wrote, that I thought I’d create a few more!
1. Get physical. Exercise helps to release endorphins and lift you up out of the blues.
2. Get quiet. As important is quiet time to find your center. This could be meditation for some or a walk in the woods for others.
3. Eat right. Stress can cause all sorts of physical problems. A healthy diet will support your immune system and help keep colds and viruses at bay.
4. Create a new routine. If you don’t have a regular routine, then create one to help you stay on track and feel more in control.
5. Step away. Do something outside your normal habit to bring a new perspective on life’s challenges. Whether it’s working on your laptop at the park or a getaway for the day, taking a breather from it all can recharge your mental and emotional batteries.
6. Laugh. Truly, laughter is great medicine. Feel-good brain chemicals are released when you share a belly laugh. Break out the comedy movies!
7. Take a class. Life-long learning is the breath of life and is literally exercise for your brain.
8. Give Back. Volunteer. Making a difference in the world is very rewarding and can go a long way to lifting your spirits.
9. Adopt or foster a pet. Taking care of an animal is an experience in total and unconditional love.
10. Gain Perspective. Helping others less fortunate can be an important reminder that there are greater problems in the world than our own.
Want another great piece of advice? Get smart right from the start and seek professional help to deal with your divorce. If you’re lucky enough to be able to attend a Speed Divorcing event, this is your place to get answers and make connections with respected professionals who will help you get the answers you need and the guidance you deserve…quickly and efficiently!